The untold story: Iran declares war on the US
Now before I go further, let me remind those who do not follow politics as closely as I do, that Ahmadinejad was elected, democratically and overwhelmingly, by the Iranian people and has a high regard amongst other Muslim nations such as our close neighbour Indonesia. I remind you because, I anticipate obligatory comments such as "...but he's an extremist and doesn't represent his people...", "...he's an international pariah...", "...noone should take him seriously..."
As I had previously posted, for all of his faults, Donald Rumsfeld was one of the few US administration figures who foresaw Iran's regional ambitions. Since then, we have had:
- the US, the EU, Russia and China squabbling about how to deal with Iran's clear breach of IAEA nuclear safeguards and protocols (see Section 32 of IAEA Board of Governors Report),
- Iran successfully enrich uranium,
- The Iranian president consistently and unequivocally call for the destruction of Israel
- Iran has possibly acquired a intercontinental nuclear deployment capability from North Korea
- The MSM (Mainstream Media) and Nobel Prize winners unable to get their heads out of their arses to properly put into perspective the Iranian threat
- The Iranian president effectively declare war on the United States in a "inspired" letter to the US President.
- Iran may already have the nuke
- The watchdog thinks that they have a right to nuclear weapons
- Iran is supporting terrorist organisations financially and militarily to attack the US and Israel in the event of a US/Israeli attack
- Iran declares willingness to deploy nuclear know how to rogue states
- Iran having highly enriched uranium detected at sites linked with its defense ministry.
So, how can we deal with Iran? All viable options are expensive.
For some comic enlightenment on this frightening topic, see Iowahawk and Lileks.
UPDATE: More comic enlightenment at Blame Bush!