My Take on Katrina
I will not ask Bush to sell his ranch. I will criticise him for the following:
- Why did you stack FEMA with friends of yours, who have no experience in disaster management?
- Why did it take you so long to deliver some aid/respite to the homeless and vulnerable?
- Why didn't the call to Americans to conserve energy come earlier?
- Why are you handing out $US2,000 freebies to the destitute and are not instead investing this "idle labour" in the cleaning and rebuilding effort?
- Why did you not respond faster to your Red State support base?
- How are you going to deal with a terrorist attack?
The slowness in your defense of the war in Iraq and the collapse in disaster recovery is breathtaking. I would dare say that the future of America and your supposed Christian witness does not lie in the hands of the next Supreme Court nominee, but the grace, humility and love that you show toward those utterly demoralised.